Immigration to Guernsey
The following individuals do not generally need permission from the Guernsey Border Agency to move to the Bailiwick of Guernsey:
- British citizens.
- Other nationals of Member States of the European Economic Area and Switzerland.
- Other nationals who have permanent settlement (such as indefinite leave to enter or remain in the Bailiwick of Guernsey, United Kingdom, Bailiwick of Jersey or the Isle of Man) within the terms of the Immigration Act 1971.
An individual who does not have an automatic right to live in Guernsey must fall within one of the categories below:
- Spouse/partner of a British citizen, EEA national or settled person.
- Person intending to set themselves up in business.
- Writer, artist or composer.
Any other individual wishing to move to the Bailiwick of Guernsey must obtain an entry clearance (visa) prior to his/her arrival. The entry clearance must be applied for through the British Consular representative in the individual’s country of residence. The initial process generally starts with an online application via the British Home Office website.